Redis for Python Developers
RU102PY is a complete introduction to Redis for Python developers. You can expect to learn how to make connections to Redis, store and retrieve data, and leverage essential Redis features such as sorted sets and streams.
Classes StartEarly Summer, 2020
What you will learn
RU102PY provides a deep dive into Python application development with Redis. You can expect to learn how to make connections to Redis, store and retrieve data, and leverage essential Redis features such as sorted sets and streams.
What you will build
As the course progresses, you'll write code that implements the features of a solar power monitoring application. This real-world project consists of three components:
- A command-line data loading application
- A REST API backend using Express
- A Vue.js front end (No Vue experience required!)
We'll store data in Redis using a data model that we'll develop along the way. The project will leverage a number of Redis data structures, including:
- Sorted Sets
- Geospatial indexes
We'll provide examples of best practices such as the use of pipelining, transactions, and Lua scripting.
We'll also demonstrate several common Redis patterns, including rate-limiting for API calls and leaderboards for top-producing solar sites.
RU102PY has no course prerequisites. However, we assume that students already understand:
- The Python programming language
- Redis and Redis Data Structures (approximately to the level covered in the RU101 course)
- Web Browser: Firefox 39.0+ or Chrome 43+ (Internet Explorer is currently not supported)
- Operating System: Mac OS X 10.7+ 64-bit, Ubuntu 14.04+ 64-bit, or Windows 8+ (64-bit)
- Access to www.youtube.com and university.redislabs.com (i.e. non-blocked access)